“Age is not how old you are, but how many years you’ve had fun.” -Matt Maldre
Many people have a negative perception of turning older. Wrinkles, gray hair, hearing and vision loss, and more medical issues are all things that come to mind to many, but there are also many positive aspects to turning older worth looking forward to.
If you don’t believe us, consider these 5 things to look forward to as you age gracefully.
- Senior discounts – From dining to retail to entertainment venues, many establishments offer reduced admission prices to people over a certain age. If you are an AARP member, they negotiate discounts that you can enjoy starting at age 50. Something to note, some establishments don’t have a senior rate posted, but that doesn’t mean they don’t offer one. Don’t be afraid to ask (or admit your age) to uncover some incredible discounts.
- Travel perks – You’ve spent your entire life wanderlusting and creating a bucket list of all the places you want to visit and now is your chance. Planes, trains, and automobiles offer discounted rates for travelers of a certain age. In addition, hotels like Marriot offer room discounts, too. For those looking for adventure, the National Park Service offers a lifetime pass to over 2,000 parks for only $10/person. We all need a little adventure in our lives, right?
- Education – Learning is a lifetime commitment. Many private and public universities drastically reduce tuition (some even provide free tuition) for senior citizens with a desire to learn. If you find you have extra free time, they are also plenty of opportunities to volunteer or offer part-time services at establishments like museums, aquariums, schools and more.
- Finances – Seniors receive a magnitude of financial perks including tax reductions and medical coverage so you can continue to enjoy and benefit from your golden years.
- At 65, seniors can sign up Medicare
- Under 65 may also be eligible for incredible benefits. Click here to see if you qualify for benefits now including massages, vitamins, prescriptions, transportation to doctor offices and more.
- Retirement – Something we all look forward to; a time in our lives where all our hard work finally pays off and we can sit back and relax. Go to the beach on a Monday, sure. Take a trip to Europe for 2 weeks, no problem. Stay in bed until 9 everyday of the week, you bet. The beauty of retirement is that it can be anything you make it to be.
The truth is aging doesn’t have to be something you dread or think negatively about. There are many perks to getting older as pointed out above. So sit back, take it all in, and enjoy every moment you’re given.