Many of us are going to be setting New Year’s resolutions in the upcoming year. From losing weight, to quitting smoking, to saving money, we all set our sights on accomplishing big things in the year.
If your resolution is to save money, we’ve put together a few tips to help you. Finding new ways to save money can be frustrating and you may feel like you’ve already tried everything or saving as much as you possibly can.
- Switch to off brand products. You can usually save a lot of money making the switch to generic brands versus the big brand names. From cereal, to lotions, to toilet paper and food products, you may be surprised how much you can save by these simple swaps.
- Pack your lunch. Americans spend a lot of money buying lunches. It’s estimated around 3K in fact. WOW! Consider packing everyday to save a pretty penny, and control what you eat (you know, in case you also want to lose weight this year!)
- Consider a super saver savings account. Some banks offer high yield accounts that allow you to save at much faster rates than a normal savings account. If you plan on saving money anyways, why not earn more?
- Cut cable. We get it. This one might terrify you. But cable TV is super pricey. There are many options for streaming services that come at a much more affordable price. Some of these include Netflix, Hulu, Sling, or Amazon Prime.
- Be your own stylist. Hair cuts are pricey. See if you can try cutting your own, or have your partner give it a try! Consider at-home coloring versus going to a salon. Do you wax regularly? Consider doing this from home, too.
- Sell what you no longer use or need. Have old furniture, clothing, gadgets or technology laying around you never use? Sell it! Consider a garage sale, yard sale, or even through a platform such as Facebook marketplace. Your trash may be someone else’s treasure.
- Reassess your insurance. From car, to home, to health insurance, make sure you are getting the best rate. Do some comparing, and utilize experts to do some of the work for you. For example, we have licensed specialist who can compare hundreds of Medicare plans to make sure you find the right plan for your unique needs and location. Some plans offer incredible benefits that will keep you from paying pricey out-of-pocket costs. This can end up saving you thousands of dollars every year!
So tell us, what are your resolutions?